The Matthew Ruggiero International Woodwind Competition
Sponsored by the Boston Woodwind Society,
through a gift of the Henderson Foundation
The Boston Woodwind Society is pleased to announce and congratulate Katarzyna Zdybel-Nam of Poland, Winner of the 1st Matthew Ruggiero International Woodwind Competition for Bassoon including the prize of $10,000. The unanimous vote of six independent international judges world-wide followed three elimination rounds for this entirely online video-based competition. BWS received more than 50 applications from around the world. The BWS Board would like to congratulate all entrants for their fine performances.
The BWS would further like to recognize and thank the distinguished panel of judges, who all donated their services allowing BWS to maximize the prize for contestants:
- Young Jin Choe, Principal Bassoon, Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra
- Thomas Novak, Provost, Dean, Interim President, New England Conservatory of Music
- Richard Ranti, Associate Principal Bassoon, Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Richard Svoboda, Principal Bassoon, Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Takashi Yamakami, Secretary General Japan Bassoon Association
- Giorgio Versiglia, Professor of Bassoon, Istituto Superiore di Studi Musicali
"Gaetano Donizetti" (Bergamo, Italy)
Thanks are also due to BWS Board members Stephanie Busby and Jonathan Cohler, for their selfless and tireless efforts on behalf of this competition, to all BWS Board members for their year-round work, and especially to The Henderson Foundation for generously underwriting the prize for this 1st Matthew Ruggiero International Woodwind
Congratulations to our 2016 Merit Award Competition Winners
- Allison Parramore, Doriot Dwyer Merit Award Competition Co-Recipient
- Kanae Kimura, Doriot Dwyer Merit Award Competition Co-Recipient
- Jonathan Gentry, Ralph Gomberg Merit Award Competition winner
- Milos Bjelica, Harold Wright Merit Award Competition winner
- Jason Russo, Harold Wright Merit Award Competition Honorable Mention
Thank you to all who attended our 2015 Double Reed Day at New England Conservatory.
Photos by Matthew Goldman
View more photos here.
Congratulations to all our 2015 Merit Award winners,
- Luna Cholong Kang - Flute - Click here for her full biography
- Andrew van der Paardt - Oboe - Click here for his full biography
- Natalie Zemba - Bassoon - Click here for her full biography
- Ayça Çetin - Flute - Click here for her full biography
- Bixby Kennedy - Clarinet Click here for his full biography
- Kangyi Liu - Saxophone - Click here for his full biography
Congratulations to honorable mention winners, Kenta Akaogi and Mark Debski.
We are pleased to announce a special concurrent premiere project for Andrew List's new piece, Journey Toward the Eternal Flame. This exciting new work is dedicated to BWS founder, Matthew Ruggiero. Videos of the premiere performance of this work are posted at:
Up From the Depths
Journey to the High Mountain
If you are interested in information about how you may perform this new work please see this letter from the composer and the registration form.
The Boston Double Reed Day took place on October 5, 2014. View photos of the event here.